Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Prometheus: A Return To Form For Ridley Scott?



So there's been quite a bit of buzz lately surrounding Ridley Scott's next project, Prometheus.  It marks nearly 30 years since he's last forayed into the science fiction genre.  It's widely considered that Alien and Blade Runner are his two masterpieces(Frenchie would strongly disagree with the latter).  Some would argue that Thelma & Louise and Gladiator belong up on that pedestal as well, but that's besides the point.  Being a huge fan of Alien, this is the first Scott project that I've genuinely been excited for in quite some time.  To say that it's been a while since he's done something truly remarkable is an understatement.  It's been nearly a decade if you consider Black Hawk Down amongst his best(which I do not).  During that span Scott has directed decent yet underwhelming films in; Kingdom of Heaven(extended director's cut), American Gangster, Body of Lies and Robin Hood.   Then there are those that belong in the "what the heck was he thinking" category; Matchstick Men and A Good Year.  That's over ten years of seemingly uninspired work.


Perhaps a return to his roots will snap him out of his funk?  The foundation is certainly there.  The cast has plenty of promise.  An ensemble minus Russell Crowe(thank God).  Nothing against the Aussie, but I've grown tired of his collaborations with Scott.  Anyway, there's Noomi Rapace of the Sweedish/Danish "Millenium Trilogy" fame.  Up-and-coming British actor, Michael Fassbender.  Former Oscar winner, Charlize Theron.  The vastly underrated Idris Elba, best known for his portrayal of Russell "Stringer" Bell on The Wire.  Then there's the relatively unknown in Logan Marshall-Green, a Tom Hardy look-alike.  Writer Damon Lindelof  has been involved with the script, so that's a plus or a negative depending on how you felt about Lost finale.  But what excites me most is that while it's still considered a prequel to Alien,  Scottt insists that it will evolve into its own "grand mythology and universe."  Meaning that Prometheus will still be considered cannon, but not restricted to the rules that makes most prequels unbearable to watch.  The project has the potential to bring something new, something fresh, and most importantly something inspired; to a franchise that's been raped with God-awful sequels and spin-offs(Aliens vs. Predator debacles).

Currently Prometheus is number two on my list of must-see films of 2012.  The Dark Knight Rises being number one.  Hopefully we'll get a vintage Ridley Scott film that finally lives up to its hype.  I'll certainly be crossing my fingers.

5 comments:

  1. I have to say that I'm not terribly interested in this movie yet. "Alien" does very little for me, decent movie though it was. Solid cast though. You won't find a bigger Idris Elba fan than me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could write a whole blog about why I love Alien but I'll save that for another time.

    If you're a big Idris Elba fan watch The Wire(if you haven't already). He is absolutely fantastic in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I think your little aside there is inspiring me to re-watch Blade Runner and post on it this weekend. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still waiting your first post my man. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the process of switching jobs (and shifts), so my schedule is all out of whack.

    ReplyDelete